Centre for Advanced Studies on Islam, Science, and Civilisation (CASIS) is a centre of excellence at the Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM). CASIS seeks to promote post-graduate scholarship and learning for the advancement of knowledge in the fields of study relating to Islam, Science, and Civilisation and their allied sciences under the ambit of the worldview of Islam in full cognisance of relevant developments in other civilisations, especially in the contemporary world.
Among its main objectives is to train young scholars who are intellectually adept to delve into the intricacies of religious thought while simultaneously at home with (intellectual and) scientific ideas, technologies and socio-economic thought and institutions of today. These emerging scholars will have the requisite intellectual tools and competent knowledge to imbibe from the multi-disciplinary program to prepare themselves for future intellectual and civilisational challenges at home and the world at large.
Aims and Objectives
- To establish a center of excellence for conducting cutting-edge researches on Islam, science and civilisation.
- To provide expertise on the field of Islamic thought and civilisation.
- To produce competent scholars who can integrate religion with science and technology to develop a civilisation based on tawhidic worldview.
- To study, publish and generate meaningful works on contemporary Islamic thought and civilisation.
- To translate great works of Muslim scholars into various languages.
In short, CASIS is an institute that seeks to inculcate authentic Islamic knowledge and profound understanding of other historic civilisations and the contemporary world.