Doctor of Philosophy (Education)
SCHOOL OF EDUCATION offers a full range of postgraduate programmes, professional development opportunities, consultancy and support services for teachers, schools, principals and those in social services. Through its programmes in teacher education, graduate work, professional development, research and international education, Faculty of Education, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia seeks to engage students, simulate their interests, and raise their awareness of their environment and communities. In short, it encourages graduates to make a difference in the world.
PhD Programmes by Research
- Management and Administration in Education
- Guidance and Counselling in Education
- Curriculum and Instruction
- Educational Technology
- Education and Development
- Educational Psychology
- Measurement and Evaluation in Education
- Physics Education
- Chemistry Education
- Mathematics Education
- Multimedia in Education
- Online Learning
- Technical and Vocational Education
- Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL)
- Sports Science, Exercise and Movement
Admission for Doctor of Philosophy Programme
A Master’s degree in related disciplines with a recognize teaching qualification from Universiti Teknologi Malaysia or any other higher learning institutions recognized by UTM Senate.
Doctor of Philosophy is a research degree programme. The students’ PhD research work is supervised by a supervisor (or a panel of supervisors) and students’ academic progress is assessed every semester via online progress report. The degree is awarded upon passing all required courses and PhD thesis’ viva voce examination. Students are required to complete the following courses together with their doctoral research :
University Compulsory Course : U– xxx3 (3 Credits)
Faculty Compulsory Courses :
UHPP 0010 Research Methods and Data Analysis (HW)
MPPU 1070 Critical Analysis (HW)
MPPU 1080 Academic Writing (HW)
*MPPU 1060 is replaced by UHPP0010
Doctor of Philosophy (By Research for All Programs)
|University Elective (1 course)||U_XXX3||
(Students are free to choose any one course enlisted as university elective course). Please refer to the SPS website for the list of university elective courses). www.sps.utm.my
University elective course offered by the School of Education:
|Faculty Compulsory (3 courses)||MPPU 1060
|Research Methodology and Data Analysis
Please refer to research code by semester
• Students are required to register their research code every semester starting semester one. Make sure you register the right code.
• Progress report for every semester – GSMS system
• Students must submit their proposal to the faculty by the end of their 3rd semester.
Graduate on Time (GOT):
– 42 months (MYRA II); 48 months (KPM)
– Period: from registration to Senate endorsement
* NOTICE for thesis submission: 3 months prior to submission
* Plagiarism check (eg: turnitin report) – each chapter and overall
* Normal submission : after 36 months (3 years) Students are required to publish in at least one Scopus indexed journal or two Scopus listed
proceedings before being able to submit.
* Students will be given a V (examination) status once they submit their thesis. Submission of thesis must be done within the study period.
Publication Requirement for Thesis Submission
PhD students intake 2021/2022 onwards
A PhD student may submit a thesis for viva-voce if he/she has produced with at least one (1) published article that has been accepted or published in a journal indexed on the Web of Science OR at least two (2) published articles that have been accepted or published in journals indexed in SCOPUS/ERA/journals listed in myJurnal (Malaysian Journal Management System) from MyCite (Malaysian Citation Center).
PhD student intake before 2021/2022
A PhD student may submit a thesis for viva-voce if he/she has produced with at least one (1) refereed article or two (2) indexed conference proceedings that has been accepted or published in Web of Science, SCOPUS or ERA index.
Full Time : 3- 8 Years (6-16 Semesters)
How to Apply:
For further information, please contact:
Assoc. Prof. Dr. Noraffandy bin Yahaya
Chair, School of Education
Faculty of Social Sciences and Humanities
Universiti Teknologi Malaysia
81310 Skudai, Johor
Tel : 07-5534258
Email : email@example.com
Ms. Hazlina Bt Stam
Assistant Registrar (Postgraduate)
Tel : 07-5534506
OR the relevant Director of Program as listed here.